Thursday, August 7, 2014

St. Johns Wort

Last week as I was taking a walk with my dogs, and I sometimes like to venture off the path, when  I came upon a bunch of St. Johns wort plants growing in a field. This is the first time I have found this herb and was very excited. I picked some and brought them home to use the flowers for an herbal oil used on sore muscles.
Here is a close up of the flowers.
This is the finished oil. I filled a pint jar 1/3 full of flowers and then poured olive oil over the flowers to 2/3 full. I placed the covered jar in a crock with water in it and heated on low overnight. You can see how the flowers turned the oil a red color. I strained the flowers out after it cooled and now I have a good oil to rub on sore muscles or in this case my husbands sciatica.

No comments:

Post a Comment