Monday, June 18, 2012

Rhubarb Custard Pie

I hope all those dads had a great Fathers Day. I know the way to a mans heart is to cook for him so I baked a Rhubarb custard pie. This is the very first harvest I have gotten off my rhubarb plant and this pie did it justice. The recipe came out of an old cookbook called Betty Crockers Picture Cook Book.

Fill pastry-lined 9" pie pan with rhubarb custard filling.
Beat slightly... 3 eggs,
Add... 2- 2/3 tbsp. milk, 
Mix together and stir in...2 cups of sugar, 
4 tbsp. flour, 
3/4 tsp. nutmeg,
Mix in...4 cups cut-up pink rhubarb, 
Dot filling in pan with...1 tbsp butter. 
Cover with lattice top. Bake until nicely browned. Temp. 400 degrees for 50-60 min.

Of course I used my free range chicken eggs, goat milk and home made butter. My pastry was made with lard.

1 comment: