Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Goodness gracious garlic

Last week I harvested my late garlic, which is a stiff neck variety call Chesnok Red. My early garlic game out about a week and half earlier and it is a soft necked silver skinned(don't know the variety). Soft necked garlics keep better than the hard neck so I want to test this theory this winter and see. As you can see by the photo the hard neck did very well, some are as big as baseballs. I will be preparing the garlic bed for planting this fall by adding compost and rock phosphate. I will be planting  early, mid-season and late season garlics. I'm not sure of the variety yet but I really like the Chesnok Red.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm! I'm inspired. I've never planted garlic in my garden...imagine that! And I use a lot of garlic. It's on my TO-DO list for Fall. I'll need to do a little research first. YUM! Jenny

    ReplyDelete