Monday, January 18, 2010

Canned Venison


With deer hunting season finish until next fall, I am freezing, smoking and canning venison. Canning meat is very simple and easy if you own a pressure canner. I would recommend getting one if you are considering canning anything. We purchased one over 25 years ago and it is still working without any repairs needed. If my memory serves me right I think it cost about $65, not bad for a 25 year investment. A Ball Blue book is invaluable for canning recipes and time tables for both pressure and hot water bath canning. Mine has seen better days but I always know where it is when I need it. Pack fresh cubed venison in sterilized jars, a teaspoon of salt, place lid with ring on and into the pressure canner it goes. Can at 10 pounds pressure for 1 hour and 15 minutes and you have preserved meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment